Technical Writer – Documentation Team
Crossvallia is a leading IT consulting and development company specialized in running high-volume websites, secure GNU/Linux services, and global data networks. We specialize in IT infrastructure, cloud computing, and security, providing IT services, experience and know-how for IT clients across the globe, most notably HAProxy Technologies. HAProxy Technologies is the company behind HAProxy, the world’s fastest and most widely used software load balancer. Organizations rapidly deploy HAProxy products to deliver websites and applications with the utmost performance, observability, and security at any scale and in any environment.
About The Team
We’re a unique collection of talented and passionate people with a shared vision of simplifying the complexity of modern application architectures. In order to meet our ambitious goals, we are searching for a technical writer to join our Documentation Team to create customer-facing documentation for our constantly evolving products (HAProxy Enterprise, HAProxy Fusion, HAProxy ALOHA, HAProxy Edge, and HAProxy Enterprise Kubernetes Ingress Controller).
We believe that robust documentation is essential for building an excellent customer experience. It also provides timely information to other teams within our organization, particularly Support.
What you will do in this role:
Technical writers on the Documentation Team blend the skills of a network administrator with those of a superb writer. Because the documentation must show steps on how to install and use the products, and those steps must be accurate, our technical writers are highly competent in the domain of information technology. You will likely need to set up a network, deploy servers, configure IP address routing, update firewalls, adjust DNS records, and create Docker containers. But equally important is good judgment when it comes to organizing ideas, creating a logical flow of concepts, adjusting examples so that they build upon one another, and removing excess from writing.
On the job, you will:
- Learn new software features as they are released and experience the product from a user’s perspective. Often that includes installing and configuring the software, testing new features, and getting first-hand knowledge of how features work.
- Translate complex product requirements documents, technical design and implementation specifications into simple and easily understandable documentation that is consistent with the target audience. At times, you may even need to inspect the source code.
- Communicate with subject matter experts, ask them detailed questions that customers would ask, and boil down complex topics into procedures that are easy to follow, even for advanced use cases.
- Understand why the features were added and what business value the new functionality provides.
- Create user guides, online help, process documentation, functional specs and in-product support as needed.
- Write content in Markdown using an IDE (for example, VS Code) .
- Use Git for source control and version/revision management.
- Ensure documentation is properly maintained, categorized, and consistent with related documents.
What you will bring to this role:
Since our documentation targets system administrators, network administrators, and DevOps professionals, the ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of the IT industry, the software development lifecycle, and the tools used therein including a solid understanding of computer networking, Linux, and web server administration.
- University degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years of experience as a Technical Writer
- Working knowledge of using the terminal (bash) and computer networking (TCP/IP, HTTP, web servers)
- Experience writing using the Markdown language
- Experience with Containers/Virtualization (Docker, VirtualBox, VMware, Vagrant)
- Strong English communications skills – written/verbal – English proficiency is a must (C2 level)
- Ability to adapt quickly and to easily flow with changes to priorities and projects
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a high-performance organization
- AWS, Azure, or other cloud services
We practice Documentation-as-Code, meaning that we:
- Store documentation files in Git version control. We use GitLab.
- Use merge requests to collaborate on files and integrate new content into the final version. Knowledge of Git branching, committing, and merging is essential.
- Enable CI/CD pipelines to test, lint, and publish the files to our online, production website automatically.
- Write content using modern IDEs, such as Visual Studio Code.
- Write using the markup language Markdown (we do not use Microsoft Word or other word processing software when creating the final version of documentation).
- Leverage open-source tools to build our workspaces, including Linux.
- Use GitLab and kanban boards to track our day-to-day assigned tasks.
What do people like about the role?
- The ability to roll up your sleeves and work with tech: load balancing, Linux, cloud platforms, web servers, and a variety of other open-source and commercial software.
- The chance to teach others by breaking down complex, technical topics into clear writing that gives the reader an Aha! moment.
This is a full-time, remote role for candidates located in Croatia and Bosnia.
*CV should be submitted in English.
Surround yourself with talented team members. We hire great people based on our core values creating a fun, collaborative and stimulating work environment. Being on the cutting edge of technology, employees have opportunities for growth through upskilling and to learn a vast array of technologies. We are a fast-growing team, allowing you to have a bigger impact on our future.